Download High quality OGG
Download low quality OGG
0:31 We have updates!
- Walton is back in the saddle
- I learned to do video streaming FLOSS style
- We have a social network from the GPL software of status.net Please email us for invites
- Social network with character, 1200 characters at the moment, it’s not a radical number
7:38 Labourstart Stats
- 2nd annual survey of trade union use of the Internet
- More than double of the respondents, self selected but useful info
- Survey is English and French…need spanish
- Not raw data the info is from the labourstart blog
- Biggest social network is facebook, but linked in is used a lot
- Twitter jump…Walton’s theory is that twitter was a monitor but the numbers are up from last year a lot
- Unionbook is on the decline…reminds us of the new Zsocial
14:57 Stephen takes a look at Zsocial
- Zsocial is not federated with Ostatus
- Hosted by Zcommunications with the author of an Hope by Michael Albert
- Came across this Facebook is a diseased, Zsocial as Medicine? and the comments pissed Stephen off!
- Expectation was the use of free software and creative commons, but turns out from the article comments and this interview we find a different thought on free software..i mean open source
- Free software community according to Albert is not political and not anti-capitalist
- Matter of terminology and the use of socialism
- The free software coordination of development is not capitalist, surplus is not created and a product for the community is created.
- Michael Albert is blind to the free software movement, the free software movement enables a different mode of production
- Zsocial does nothing different than the failures of unionbook, but does nothing that Diaspora and Identi.ca do
- We wouldn’t have this show if we did not make the connection between the social movements and free software movements
28:35 Feedback loop
- We received an email from Kevin, who wrote a nice background of his in the movement
- Kevin raised two things, first if we have projects that he could participate in
- The first project is to build the community here, by installing the Vanilla Forums software
- The second is for us to basically bring in a segment to the show talking about philosophy, which will will integrate.
- Please keep the emails coming we always want to hear and it helps with future shows.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download