Download OGG High Quality
Download OGG low quality
0:31 …with me is…actually Walton
- From the land of slow internet
- Very few Trade Unions and Activists use the Internet in South Africa
- We need to change the name of the show RadioSMSunions dot org?
- Need to be more flexible with technology for communication amongst activists
5:46 We have been syndicated
- OccupyBoston now has an Internet radio stations
- I went to Ocupemos a la Coyoacon
- The occupation becomes conceptual, what is the next sphere we need to occupy
8:21 Netbook Love Returns
- Walton continues to praise the Asus eeePC
- Used Clementine at the wedding
9:28 Interviewing a date?
- If you recall we moved cyberunions.org to mayfirst servers
- Jamie and Josue from Mayfirst
- Mayfirst is a membership organization, with 700 members, who are entitled to hosting, websites, emails and email lists to name a few
- The internet should be based on free and open protocols and free software
11:40 The creation of Mayfirst
- Merger of People Link and Mayfirst
- Took on a new structure of a membership organization
- Josue spent most of the 1990s union organizing and community organizing
- Institute for Global Communications, which was the first nonprofit service proivder
- In 1996 Josue was running labor.net then went on to work with Alfredo on People Link
13:35 Mayfirst is a known name why did you all take the name
- In 1999 named media jump start
- 2003 we changed to Mayfirst Technology Collective
- Internationally mayday is known but in the US though based here not known
- The domain name was still available in 2003
16:28 What is the community?
- Join Mayfirst People Link is like joining a union a really good union
- It is an uphill struggle, the way capitalism has developed people think of corporations and not about politics
- Mayfirst is political and needs to be for the betterment of technology
- Participating in conferences and meetings
- Planning to launch more trainings online and offline to expand the community.
19:00 Creating space for the social movements
- A ‘good’ union, need to qualify it
- Server Names…they are all unique names, who is Dorothy?
- All servers are named after activists…Dorothy Day
- Used to have a section in the news letter to highlight the name of a server
- Connection to other social movements, Dorothy Day was a devout catholic
24:00 Challenge to engage most of our union members
- 25-35 Union members
- Challenging cause of the culture of the unions, unions is more of a 9-5 culture
- We do outreach to unions, but it is a challenge and reflects on the larger challenge social movements
- Reminds Stephen of the idea behind the cyberunions podcast, talk to labor to network and connect free software to labor unions
26:30 It takes a movement to bring people together
- Biggest Mayfirst commitment to Occupy has been the tech support
- Ross as main support person has does a fantastic job on getting sites up
- Occupy is getting more tech savy with streamings…to radio to politics of technology
- The future show to reverse the interview.
- The Community is welcoming and not typical capitalist IT mentality, always welcoming to people from where they are coming from.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download