This one’s for the Tech Workers: Part Two
Tech workers can organise?
Summary of last week’s show – we are discussing issues raised by Cory Doctorow’s For the Win.
3:00 Labor 101 Part 2
- The UNI Global Second Life strike
- Communication workers of America WashTech local
- Collective Bargaining is fundamental to trade unions – some UK Government info
- Union density – proportion of eligible workers who are members of a union. Union density in the UK is under 30%. In Scandinavia, it is around 80%
- Bargaining unit – the group covered by a collective agreement. The bigger the better.
- Final Offer – a great film about collective bargaining
- The Take – film about factory occupations
- The Android Developers’ Union
18:50 Possible unions for tech workers
- Industrial Workers of the World. Advantages – radical, high level of autonomy, international. Disadvantages: not many resources to support you – you’d mostly need to do it on your own
- The IWW has an IT workers’ section called Communications and Computer Workers Industrial Union 560
- Communication Workers Union
- Unite – big general union. Get 50 members and form a branch. Has an IT section, and organises in companies like Fujitsu.
- Communication Workers of America – with Techs Unite, Alliance@IBM