…let’s take those bastards down!
Intro track: Take the Bastards Down by Dropkick Murphys
- Walton and Stephen talk about the weather in Glasgow and Mexico City
- Stephen has taken up sewing
- Walton was at the STUC Congress in Inverness
- The STUC voted to support the BDS campaign against Israel
- The Cooperative Group became the first major supermarket chain in Europe to join the boycott – the Guardian and HaAretz
10:20 It’s May Day
- We discuss different traditions in different countries
- Why does the US celebrate Labor day in September? Depoliticised and turned into a shopping day
- The Occupy movement is planning a lot of events
14:20 The history of May Day
- 1886 Haymarket riots in Chicago
- Demonstration for an 8 hour day – a bomb was thrown
- Seven anarchists were sentenced to death
- Worldwide protests against the execution lead to the founding of May Day as a day commemorating workers’ sacrifice
- Workers’ memorial day on 28 April commemorates workers who die on the job
20:00 How do we organise the digital proletariat?
- David Bacon wrote a seminal article about organising tech workers
- See also
- New management techniques are piloted in the high tech sector first, before being applied to other work places
- Comment on the forums!
- Good comments from BostonGeorge on IRC
- Coming soon – how to make a podcast!