0:33 Forums are back!
- Stephen tried to update the forums and messed it up, but things are back to normal now!!
- Walton shares his experience with Union Solidarity International
- Stephen uso computadora en español, poquito difici
6:30 Stephen tries to jump to tech update
- But Walton swings in with a great labor story from South Africa
- COSATU made some
amazing achievements protecting union and non-union workers including political strikes
DA (right wing group) organized and marched on Cosatu, blood in the streets, neither side looked good.
- The unemployed in South Africa are well organized
14:23 Tech Update
- We try out jitsi as a cross platform replacement of skype
- We recall the beginning of the show when we were on the search for a skype replacement
- Stephen had toubles on debian with it as he could not record, but Walton had more success
- It is easy to setup and easy to replace skype and has built in recorder
- Stephen is picky with Java as the language being used but it has a lot of potential
19:30 FriendFace hIPO free CUKE!
- Stephen thinks Facebook will go to shit finally
- Walton explains that the feeling is that it is overpriced as it has dropped since it’s opening
- Dotcom 2.0 bubble crash…dotcom 1.0 crash was quite interesting
- Rant on ad revenue businesses as not stable cause it relies on a manufacturing and other economics to survive
- Stephen feels Facebook will crash like the rest of them
- Walton explains a tension between user wants and shareholder wants
23:35 Free Software meets Solidarity Economy
- Noosfero is solidarity economy based social network with many features
- The sites running noosfero make it appear to be a great piece of software for many different social movement campaigns.
- Stephen explains the challenges of using Ruby
- Noosfero reminds Stephen of Orkut before it was bought by google
- Module based site, not a one size fits all, features include XMPP and online image editor.
- In feedback from our interview with Smári from the … I M… I M M…..the Icelandic Modern Media Institute and International Modern Media Institute
- Doughlasawh from Identi.ca explained his point on the First Amendment in relation to the states and Stephen continued the discussion to make his point
TagsArab Spring Bangladesh bicycle Big Blue Button CiviCRM co-ops coop Creative Commons debian Diaspora Drupal EFF Elections Facebook For the Win FOSS Friendica Google+ Greece Icecast Immigration labornotes Labor Notes littlesis mayfirst Mexico Mondragon Netbooks Occupy palestine Privacy Reddit social media Social Movement Unionism South Africa strike survey swarm organising Tech workers textile workers Tor Ubuntu webrtc wordpress World Social Forum
- The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 75 This is no way to celebrate workers memorial day
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 74 Are Unions even needed anymore?
- Into the Fire – The Hidden Victims of Austerity in Greece
- marxistvegan on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- dblackadder on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- cyberunions on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- julienguigner on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- paulageraghty on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no