0:33 Forums are back!
- Stephen tried to update the forums and messed it up, but things are back to normal now!!
- Walton shares his experience with Union Solidarity International
- Stephen uso computadora en español, poquito difici
6:30 Stephen tries to jump to tech update
- But Walton swings in with a great labor story from South Africa
- COSATU made some
amazing achievements protecting union and non-union workers including political strikes
DA (right wing group) organized and marched on Cosatu, blood in the streets, neither side looked good.
- The unemployed in South Africa are well organized
14:23 Tech Update
- We try out jitsi as a cross platform replacement of skype
- We recall the beginning of the show when we were on the search for a skype replacement
- Stephen had toubles on debian with it as he could not record, but Walton had more success
- It is easy to setup and easy to replace skype and has built in recorder
- Stephen is picky with Java as the language being used but it has a lot of potential
19:30 FriendFace hIPO free CUKE!
- Stephen thinks Facebook will go to shit finally
- Walton explains that the feeling is that it is overpriced as it has dropped since it’s opening
- Dotcom 2.0 bubble crash…dotcom 1.0 crash was quite interesting
- Rant on ad revenue businesses as not stable cause it relies on a manufacturing and other economics to survive
- Stephen feels Facebook will crash like the rest of them
- Walton explains a tension between user wants and shareholder wants
23:35 Free Software meets Solidarity Economy
- Noosfero is solidarity economy based social network with many features
- The sites running noosfero make it appear to be a great piece of software for many different social movement campaigns.
- Stephen explains the challenges of using Ruby
- Noosfero reminds Stephen of Orkut before it was bought by google
- Module based site, not a one size fits all, features include XMPP and online image editor.
- In feedback from our interview with Smári from the … I M… I M M…..the Icelandic Modern Media Institute and International Modern Media Institute
- Doughlasawh from Identi.ca explained his point on the First Amendment in relation to the states and Stephen continued the discussion to make his point