0:40 Stephen’s updates
- Stephen is looking forward to Chelsea vs Liverpool as soon as we finish recording the show
- A recent technical issue with video was down to user error!
- Stephen is off to Guatemala in a week!
- Stephen has become a member of Mayfirst
3:27 Walton’s updates
- Lots of prep for the 30 November strike – it’s going to be big!
- Spent Saturday filming the Sparks’ protest
4:32 Tech update
- There are lots of benefits to Mayfirst membership
- People in the IRC channel are really helpful
- We’ll be moving from Trick to Mayfirst soon, because we need more space
- Trick are a great microhost and we recommend them for branch or activist websites
- There is a horrible new bill in the US called the Stop Online Piracy Act
- It’s unworkable and shifts the Internet balance of power in favour of big corporations and content producers with outdated business models
- Get campaigning through the American Censorship website
14:25 Up the Sparks!
- The strike on 30 November is likely to be the biggest since 1926
- Will this be a repeat of the 1984 Miners’ Strike, and a chance to destroy public sector unions?
- Direct Action gets the goods
- The Sparks dispute is one of the most interesting and under reported
- Construction is covered by national agreements such as NAECI
- Pulling out of NAECI lead to the Lindsey refinery wildcats in 2009
- Seven major employers, lead by the highly profitable Balfour Beatty, have pulled out of agreements, lowering wages by 30% causing a ruckus
- Ironically, trade unions could be the saviours of capitalism – because we ensure people are paid enough to spend into the economy and move us out of recession
- National Shop Stewards Network is a rank and file movement
- Occupy Wall Street was evicted, leaving Bloomberg looking like another ageing dictator
- Towards a permanent occupation!
- Mentioned in ACAS (pdf)
- Email from the Professional Teachers’ Union of Zambia
TagsArab Spring Bangladesh bicycle Big Blue Button CiviCRM co-ops coop Creative Commons debian Diaspora Drupal EFF Elections Facebook For the Win FOSS Friendica Google+ Greece Icecast Immigration labornotes Labor Notes littlesis mayfirst Mexico Mondragon Netbooks Occupy palestine Privacy Reddit social media Social Movement Unionism South Africa strike survey swarm organising Tech workers textile workers Tor Ubuntu webrtc wordpress World Social Forum
- The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 75 This is no way to celebrate workers memorial day
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 74 Are Unions even needed anymore?
- Into the Fire – The Hidden Victims of Austerity in Greece
- marxistvegan on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- dblackadder on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- cyberunions on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- julienguigner on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- paulageraghty on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no