0:28 The bots broke who is where and what?
- Walton runs a 10k (stephen forgot to say he knows how far that is now) after a week off of drinking
- Walton went to Italy to find the summer Britain did not have, it is a Fine country
- Stephen had craziness with no vacation…dealt with a horrible living situation
- Stephen’s past roommate is fucking crazy, Stephen had deal with a 38 year old that acted more like a 17 year old
- Stephen is in a new apartment with activist sane people
- Class war kitty…named pussy riot til he became a male so it is just riot
- Stephen tries figure out 4500 pesos in british pound……… 215 pounds
- Stephen now has a view of Ajusco
6:22 How are the movements?
- Stephen is working more on the World Social Forum on Palestine more than mxtomalacalle
- Learning the hard way in updating a Drupal module he forgot to read the notes
- Stephen’s style of learning break it first
- Stephen highly appreciates Sysadmins
- Stephen tries to get Walton to send “income” his way
- In addition to Drupal this week before going to San Francisco he will install CiviCRM
- In addition to learning CSS, Stephen has grown to love EMACS
10:45 Diaspora is now in the community
- about damn time!
- Walton feels they gave up and don’t know what to do
- Stephen thinks its too little too late and that they moved on to other projects instead of seeing it through
- Expands the critique of those in the social movements commit it to the end don’t jump ship to the next popular thing in the news
- Frustrated with the potential of diapora and the shit it became cause the reigns were never let go
20:56 Eurozone is hitting Southern Europe very hard
- The town of Marinaleda in Spain is an Anarcho-Communist Commune that has reached the NYTimes
- They are trying to be the utopia….if you want a house you pay 15 euros a month and the community helps you build the house in the community.
- Job for life and you are connected to the community
- The community is not isolated they support labor efforts elsewhere too
- They have raided supermarkets to share the food with those in need in food banks
- The social contract after WWII is breaking and communities are organizing more militantly to make sure it stays
- Defending farm land is not an easy task, historically where it was successful is the Zapatista movement
26:00 Bad news from South Africa – the Marikana massacre
- History of poor conditions in the platinum belt
- Added problem of labour brokers and agency work
- The National Union of Mineworkers seems to have lost their way
- Conflict between NUM and an new union, AMCU
- NUM accuses AMCU of being a yellow union – however this is unlikely as yellow unions seldom wildcat
- Disappointing to see IndustriALL supporting the NUM line – dishonest and a failure of solidarity
- Some evidence that Marikana was a planned massacre
- More coverage here
Thanks for listening!
TagsArab Spring Bangladesh bicycle Big Blue Button CiviCRM co-ops coop Creative Commons debian Diaspora Drupal EFF Elections Facebook For the Win FOSS Friendica Google+ Greece Icecast Immigration Labor Notes labornotes littlesis mayfirst Mexico microsoft Mondragon Occupy palestine Privacy Reddit Skype social media StatusNet strike survey swarm organising Tails Tech workers textile workers Tor webrtc wordpress World Social Forum
- The Future of Cyberunions…ok maybe not the future…
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 81 Take Two… We are back!
- We will call it a summer storm…brainstorm
- Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 80 It is June and we have been Snowd’en
- The Cyberunions Podcast Episode 79: From prisms to uprises: A How to a guide to never trusting government and corporations