0:31 We have updates!
- Walton is back in the saddle
- I learned to do video streaming FLOSS style
- We have a social network from the GPL software of status.net Please email us for invites
- Social network with character, 1200 characters at the moment, it’s not a radical number
7:38 Labourstart Stats
- 2nd annual survey of trade union use of the Internet
- More than double of the respondents, self selected but useful info
- Survey is English and French…need spanish
- Not raw data the info is from the labourstart blog
- Biggest social network is facebook, but linked in is used a lot
- Twitter jump…Walton’s theory is that twitter was a monitor but the numbers are up from last year a lot
- Unionbook is on the decline…reminds us of the new Zsocial
14:57 Stephen takes a look at Zsocial
- Zsocial is not federated with Ostatus
- Hosted by Zcommunications with the author of an Hope by Michael Albert
- Came across this Facebook is a diseased, Zsocial as Medicine? and the comments pissed Stephen off!
- Expectation was the use of free software and creative commons, but turns out from the article comments and this interview we find a different thought on free software..i mean open source
- Free software community according to Albert is not political and not anti-capitalist
- Matter of terminology and the use of socialism
- The free software coordination of development is not capitalist, surplus is not created and a product for the community is created.
- Michael Albert is blind to the free software movement, the free software movement enables a different mode of production
- Zsocial does nothing different than the failures of unionbook, but does nothing that Diaspora and Identi.ca do
- We wouldn’t have this show if we did not make the connection between the social movements and free software movements
28:35 Feedback loop
- We received an email from Kevin, who wrote a nice background of his in the movement
- Kevin raised two things, first if we have projects that he could participate in
- The first project is to build the community here, by installing the Vanilla Forums software
- The second is for us to basically bring in a segment to the show talking about philosophy, which will will integrate.
- Please keep the emails coming we always want to hear and it helps with future shows.
TagsArab Spring Bangladesh bicycle Big Blue Button CiviCRM co-ops coop Creative Commons debian Diaspora Drupal EFF Elections Facebook For the Win FOSS Friendica Google+ Greece Icecast Immigration labornotes Labor Notes littlesis mayfirst Mexico Mondragon Netbooks Occupy palestine Privacy Reddit social media Social Movement Unionism South Africa strike survey swarm organising Tech workers textile workers Tor Ubuntu webrtc wordpress World Social Forum
- The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 75 This is no way to celebrate workers memorial day
- Cyberunions Podcast Episode 74 Are Unions even needed anymore?
- Into the Fire – The Hidden Victims of Austerity in Greece
- marxistvegan on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- dblackadder on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- cyberunions on The Cyberunions Podcast: Episode 77 – We’re mixing up some new tech
- julienguigner on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no
- paulageraghty on Cyberunions Podcast Episode 76 We are live…well if you downloaded this then no